We asked our team to share more about their services, which can include custom floral arrangements, personal or wedding bouquets, and plant-care tips to keep your greens growing and your flowers blooming.
Safeway Floral Dept. Q&A
Many Safeway stores' Floral Depts. function like a full floral-design studio. Can you tell us about that?
While not all stores have the capacity to be considered full floral-design studios (check with your local store to verify our services), the stores that do have the ability to consult and design floral needs for weddings, funerals, and special occasions such as anniversaries, graduations, corporate events, family reunions, gender reveals, and more.
If you have someone come into the department who doesn't know where to start when buying a bouquet or an arrangement, how do you help that person?
We start by asking about the occasion, who it's for, if they're OK with fragrance, the budget, preferred colour schemes, and if pick-up or delivery is needed. Then, we tailor the bouquet or arrangements to meet the needs!
What variety of flowers do you carry? Does it change from season to season?
There are some flowers we carry year-round. We also offer seasonal flowers and try to order local during this time. During Easter, for example, we bring in bright Easter lilies and hydrangeas! In summer, we carry sunflowers and dahlias.
For folks who don't have green thumbs, can you share some plant-care advice for common plants?
Sure! Since Easter is around the corner, here are some tips for Easter lilies:
- Choose a plant with just one or two blooms open or partially open, with the remaining blooms yet to open. As the flowers mature, remove the yellow anthers before the pollen starts to shed; this extends the flower's life and prevents pollen from staining the white petals. When a mature flower starts to wither, cut it off to make the plant more attractive and make room to enjoy the fresh, newly opened blooms.
- Easter lilies prefer moderately cool temperatures, with daytime temperatures around 16°C to- 19°C0C, and slightly cooler at night. The lilies will thrive near a window in bright, indirect natural daylight, but avoid glaring, direct sunlight.
- Avoid placing plants near drafts, and avoid exposure to excess heat or dry air from appliances, fireplaces, or heating ducts.
- Lilies prefer moist, well-drained soil. Water thoroughly when the soil surface feels dry to a light touch (but avoid overwatering!). If the pot is wrapped in decorative foil, be careful not to let the plant sit trapped in standing water.
- The most important thing to remember is that they love water. Always keep the soil moist without letting it get waterlogged.
- To prolong blooming, place in a bright but cool location away from strong, direct sunlight, especially at night.
- When the blooms have faded, and after any danger of frost, the hydrangea can be planted outside. Remove any faded flowers and plant in a rich, loamy soil in a semi-shaded location that gets plenty of moisture.
What types of ready-made bouquets are available from day to day?
We carry a variety of ready-made bouquets, from $14.99 to $39.99, using a selection of fresh flowers to reflect the season.
Can I make my own arrangement/bouquet?
We love it when customers pick out bunches of our mix-and-match (3 for $21) options on their own. We can put these together as a bouquet for no charge, and if they like, we can arrange the flowers in a vase with greens, fillers, and a bow for an additional charge.
How do I extend the life of my bouquet? Should I be using flower food?
Using Floral Life is good for our everyday bouquets, but remember, bulb cuts can only use bulb food. Keeping your water-filled container free from bacteria and away from heat sources or direct sunlight is also key to the longevity of the flowers; changing the water and giving the flowers a fresh cut every two to three days is optimal.
How can I order?
What are your favourite summer blooms?
We particularly enjoy summer gladiolas, sunflowers, and dahlias.
Do you provide floral services and quotes for weddings?
You bet we do! Unfortunately, all stores don't have the training to do custom wedding bouquets, they just offer the two standard rose bouquets (Joy and Bliss).
Do you provide samples for those ordering for big occasions like weddings?
Unfortunately, we don't provide samples. Customers often bring in pictures, and we advise if we have those flowers. If we don't, we will offer to substitute it with another kind of flower.
Does the Safeway Floral Dept. offer delivery? Within what distance
Yes, each store has its own delivery company, so distances are specific to each area. Please check with your local Safeway store to verify that we can deliver.
What other services or products should people know that the floral department offers?
We also offer balloon bouquets, plush animals, fruit baskets, complimentary floral wrapping, and unique holiday baskets. We sell seasonal bulbs and seeds, garden soils, and plant care. We have a variety of hanging baskets made of vegetables as well as flowers.
Do you provide accessories, such as vases, for those who might want them?
Yes, we provide accessories, including picks, enclosure cards, stick balloons and bows. We also carry a variety of vases, decorative pots for plants, and baskets.
How do I transition my houseplants outdoors for the summer?
Grilled radicchio with capersFirst, we recommend researching the kind of soil your plant needs. Next, ensure you've got the best light exposure and location to place or plant it in and know your plant's watering requirements.
My parents are celebrating a benchmark anniversary this summer. What do you recommend?
We'd start by asking what kinds of flowers they had in their wedding bouquet and suggesting we use those flowers for a nostalgic feeling. If they're having a party, we'd recommend table centrepieces, plus a corsage and a boutonniere, as well as an arrangement, to be presented to the couple.
My child is graduating from university this summer. What says congratulations when it comes to flowers?
Roses are the ultimate flower for graduation celebrations. They show up well in pictures, especially wrapped in presentation style. Red is usually the most requested colour, but any colour is special for graduation.